In addition to specific Med/Peds events, the residents are active in the social cultures of both departments. What follows is a partial list of typical annual events.
- Switch Night - A senior-led and organized event before the first big switch between the categorical parent programs, designed to reduce intern anxiety.
- Meet and Greet Party - During orientation week, all the Med/Peds residents come together to meet the new interns and introduce them to the program and to San Diego.
Annual Med/Peds Business Retreat - A local retreat to socialize, address program issues, and brainstorm ideas for program improvement.
- Welcome Party for all new house staff, attended by key faculty and continuing medicine house staff.
Holiday Party-a formal evening hosted for house staff, faculty, spouses, and significant others.
- Annual Program Retreat
- Graduation Gala to celebrate the completion of residency
- Intern Retreat – A fall weekend set aside for the interns to get to know each other better. Big Bear, CA, is one of the more common retreat destinations.
- Chief Resident and Intern Brunch - A mid-fall meeting in which the Chief Residents prepare the interns for the upcoming busy winter season.
- Resident Holiday Party – Hosted by the rising chiefs and featuring an unparalleled “White Elephant” gift exchange.
- Local Senior Retreat – A day of fun, set aside for the graduating seniors to spend time with one another a few weeks before graduation.
- Graduation celebration and award ceremony.